So, Rikki Barnes was the fevered invention of Heroes Reborn, a
terrible idea reboot in the nineties. She was a young woman with dreams of being a professional dancer, and had just been rejected from Julliard when her brother came home one day and was all “Guess what I’m a neo-Nazi now, seeya” and ran off to be a dickface.
So Rikki HUNTED HIM DOWN and ended up teaming with Captain America to defeat her brother’s nefarious gang of assholes, and Heroes Reborn Steve was all “Rikki Barnes. What a familiar name. I like the cut of your jib, kid. Come be my sidekick.”
Rikki belongs to the Miles Morales Club For Characters Who Were The Only Good Things To Come Out Of Terrible Things.
Apparently there is a run called Nomad: Girl Without A World where Rikki manages to slip through from the Heroes Reborn universe into the 616, but I don’t know how it happens because I can’t find it. ANYWAY, Natasha, sensing a kindred ginger spirit, sets her up to be Nomad and doesn’t even make her wear the rifuckingdicuous outfit Steve designed for Nomad. So Rikki-Nomad runs around being homeless and going to high school and fighting crime.
And then one day Steve shows up and is like, “You are magnificent, I miss you, I care about you” and thus, GIANT RIKKI HUG.
We need more Rikki Barnes. She needs to be the Older Mentor to the Young Avengers or something.
Older meaning she’s like, 22 now.
[From Captain America #608, 2010.]
- j-l-johnson likes this
- thisbeastiegirl reblogged this from copperbadge
- the-legend-of-sheik likes this
- theonceandfuture-arthur likes this
- doctorcakeray likes this
- olyfert likes this
- haylorpants likes this
- danceamicadance reblogged this from copperbadge
- epyonavenger likes this
- zoddamnit reblogged this from copperbadge
- reyesrobbies likes this
- trolby likes this
- chipander-b0wdrie likes this
- arthangover likes this
- filiabelialis likes this
- seekanewerworld reblogged this from copperbadge
- creepingmonsterism likes this
- ununnilium reblogged this from copperbadge
- mrsbeaverton reblogged this from copperbadge
- dogmatix likes this
- laughingacademy likes this
- atreefullofmonkeys likes this
- pedanther likes this
- scrtkpr likes this
- sorcerous-kitty likes this
- summer-goes likes this
- everbright-mourning reblogged this from copperbadge
- everbright-mourning likes this
- youngavenger reblogged this from copperbadge and added:
- actuallyclintbarton likes this
- actuallyclintbarton said: Sam if you have not found it yet I can hook you up with ALL THE RIKKI STUFF, she is my wife’s favourite, and god it’s painful. she shows up in 616 RIGHT BEFORE STEVE IS KILLED AT THE END OF CIVIL WAR and yeah, I just a;iorhasdfj feels.
- yellingcoherently likes this
- ununnilium likes this
- yukiru likes this
- jenny-sparks said: Wait, is she still alive? For some reason I thought she was dead and the last five-plus years of her story had been retconned away?
- waywren reblogged this from copperbadge
- waywren likes this
- jenny-sparks likes this
- tilliphont likes this
- seekanewerworld said: I own Girl Without A World! It’s really charming. It takes place while Steve’s dead but there’s some Bucky & Natasha.
- partytimexelent likes this
- vividly-v likes this
- echo6979 likes this
- arinrowan likes this
- paxpinnae likes this
- howarethosenuts likes this
- persian-slipper likes this
- fursasaida likes this
- fursasaida said: SCREECHING THAT I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS, super bummed because if you can’t find that comics run then probably I can’t either and therefore I can’t read it. Agony.
- quillotine likes this